November Is Christmas Scary Spirit The Haunted Reading Room's Reviews > AiZ: Alice in Zombieland

AiZ by Joshua Cook

Jul 09, 2012

bookshelves: july-2012-reads
Recommended to November Is Christmas Scary Spirit by: Joshua Cook
Read on July 09, 2012 — I own a copy

I read the novel on July 9, but am withholding review until the author's tour stop at my blog for Interview and Review Release, on July 29. On July 31, author Joshua Cook will guest post on my blog also.

First of all, make no mistake: this is not one of the reprises of classic literature with the interweaving of the zombie culture. Alice is not a late Victorian tiny damsel who stumbles into a rabbit hole and meets zombies. This Alice is a very alert and self-aware young lady of sixteen living in the Seattle area. Following an unexpected and horrifying family crisis, Alice reunites with her stepsister Georgia (“Gee”) to escape their area, to fight off the zombie approach, and to solve the situation if they possibly can. As so often happens, bad leads to worse, and Alice herself is attacked-and more.

The fulcrum of this novel’s plot is hubris: the arrogance of a mega-global-corporation, but specifically the arrogance of one man who wants to play God and has no moral compunction whatsoever. All is greed-human life is valueless, except as it provides fodder for experimentation. Dr. Josef Mengele of the Nazi concentration camps would find this character a likely kindred spirit.

I don’t wish to give away the plot of “Alice in Zombieland,” but I’ll be happy to give away my high recommendation. If you love Zombies, read “AiZ.” If you think you don’t, please read it anyway. Not your ordinary “Zombie” novel, “Alice in Zombieland” and author Joshua Cook has a lot to say here about contemporary society, character, and hubris (and the Industrial complex hex). Read it and reap!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read AiZ.