Carly Hyland's Reviews > Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN

Those Guys Have All the Fun by James Andrew Miller

Jul 09, 2012

liked it
Read from July 09 to 25, 2012

I love ESPN and totally pride myself on being a female who is able to hold her own in most sporting debates. Learning the (sometimes nitty-gritty) history of one of my favorite channels is a great look at something that I think people don't understand nearly as well as they think they do.
James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales also wrote a very similar book called "Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live" that I was obviously obsessed with. At times in "Those Guys..." I sometimes felt like they were trying too hard to push the sexual harassment/women in a man's world angle, as it came up multiple times throughout the book, but hey, if that's how it really is there, then I guess it's called for.
Regardless, I loved the story of ESPN's rough and tumble fight for the top in the world of sports reporting. In 1979, the idea of a 24/7 sports network was completely outrageous, and now, raise your hand if you can't imagine a world without it!
All in all, a great look "inside the world of ESPN." I really got a feel for the all-consuming sports culture that exists in the tiny town of Bristol, CT. If anything, much like the SNL book, it made me want to work there even harder. I've already applied to like, 2 or 3 jobs there to begin with. Maybe reading this book is a sign..!

Probably not though.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Guys Have All the Fun.

07/09/2012 page 67