stephanie suh's Reviews > Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by Eliot T. S. (Thomas Stearns)

I always believe that cats and dogs have feelings and personalities as we do. There's no doubt about it, and it has always been and will always be. Otherwise, Charles Darwin would not have reconstructed the existing fundamental dogma of natural science of his time, nor comparative psychology, the mind of non-human beings, nor even Aesop's Fables would have come into being. Besides, someone like T.S. Eliot, one of the greatest poets of the English language, would not have thought of writing Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, a compact collection of amusingly scintillating and elegantly profound poems about why cats behave the way they do and who they are really.

When I first came across the poetry on Kindle Store, I was adequately surprised by the fact that T.S. Eliot was the author because, to quote himself, he was of "a Catholic cast of mind, a Puritanical temperament, and a Calvinist heritage." To me, Eliot was always a grim, grave intellectual who would not deign to regale himself with anthropomorphic cats. It was part of curiosity about the writer himself and part of my interest in anything cats because of my first cat at home. And the more I read, the more I enjoyed it because it was full of wittily whimsical rhythms and brilliantly capricious expressions like a pleasant medley of amiable Dickensian characters. The psychology of the indomitable, the incredible cats through his amiably keen observation of feline behaviors in everyday life is conveyed through the live practical cats:

Jennyany dots, a neat, elegant tabby Molly living in a tidy, smart household.
Growltiger, a sailor cat., living in the harbor, who knows all the taverns and pubs around, the
Rum Tum Tugger, who is and will always be himself

According to nominative determinism principles, Eliot gives the inscrutably and ineffably particular names to the cats that befit their characteristics and personalities. The names become the cats, and the cats become the peculiar existence.

The poetry was the inspiration of mega Broadway musical hit "The Cats." However, to go against the grain, I think that rather than the famed musical version, Hiroyuki Morita's animated version of "Whisper of the Heart" about a good-hearted high school girl traveling to the land of talking biped clothed cats because of her kindness to cats, is close to Eliot's idea of practical cats. The anthropomorphic cats in animation are free in all expression that human actors cannot perform with theatrical effects, which force the audience to believe that what they see are cats. It is impossible to disassociate the visual fact from visceral imagery. The humans in makeups imitating cats render the feline characters fatuous and clownish. Ben Jonson, the great Elizabethan English playwright, would have adopted Eliot's practical cats with his superb masks and sans the ludicrously exaggerated makeup and costumes.

In conclusion, with wits and simplicity, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats is a hidden gem of Eliot's works that is enjoyable by general readers, even if they do not have cats at home. Indeed, Eliot himself was a cat lover, and this adorable collection of poems might have been the whimsical scribbling of his cats at home from his daily lives with them. But what a way of tribute to his lovely creatures it is! Upon reading this book, you might want to write like him about your cats or other pets you have at home. I should think so, for I want to and am doing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.

November 15, 2020 – Shelved