Connie Cann's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Jul 09, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

I enjoyed reading Memoirs of a Geisha because it feels authentic; the analogies and idioms Golden uses to describe Chiyo/Sayuri's experience remind me of the way Chinese women in my family tell stories. The memoir motif, though it feels personal and at times, poetic, is why I cannot rate this at five stars. It reads like a memoir, like Maxine Hong Kingston's Woman Warrior, but it is hard to get over that Memoirs of a Geisha was written by a white, American, middle-aged man, who went to Harvard and did not experience any of the circumstances in this book. I'm not saying I have never loved books with female narrators written by men (see The Fault in Our Stars); however, with this particular book, so entrenched in what it means to have been a woman in this setting, and purposefully labelled a "memoir" in the title rather than a fiction, I could not help but read it through the lens of a male scholar and wonder: is he trying to fetishize the geisha? What is it that interests him in the story of a geisha? Memoirs of a Geisha is a fascinating story full of rich metaphor, but I would not recommend reading it directly after an actual memoir, like Min's Red Azalea, because it cannot compare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

Marie Clair I liked your Review because you told me something I didn't know; 'written by a middle-aged American man.' Amazing! I enjoyed the book, he did a great job.
Having worked as what I might term, 'sacred prostitution,' myself and written about it in context with my entire search for identity and meaning, I no longer see Geisha as 'romantic'. t the same time I value the experience as a finger pointing to the moon. In that sense, precious, in deed. Without darkness, light is irrelevant. marie clair