Jennifer Hendzlik's Reviews > Batman, Volume 1: The Court of Owls

Batman, Volume 1 by Scott Snyder

Jul 09, 2012

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in July, 2012

There's this great line towards the beginning of this book where Batman is quite literally flying thru the air on a motorcycle going after the bad guys who are in a helicopter. Yes, helicopter. When Alfred wonders if he should cancel his upcoming meeting, he scoffs, "This will only take a minute."

That is the Batman we are used to-cocky and confident that he knows Gotham City like no one else. That Batman doesn't stick around long. Is it possible that there are forces at work running Gotham that Batman doesn't know? If this Court of Owls he's heard about his whole life really exists, then everything he believes to be true is not.

There are a few authors that are my absolute favorite because of their depth of storytelling. They have a gift for pulling in the history and myth of things we know well into a story in an almost reverent way but at the same time pushes the reader beyond and into new territory. Even with something so well known as the Batman myth. Scott Snyder is fast becoming of those authors for me.

This book gathers #1-7 in the Court of Owls storyline together. Once I finished I downloaded #8-10 (isn't technology grand?)and #11-the end of the storyline is out this week. You cannot stop at #7...trust me.

*Update* #11 took the story down a notch for me only because of Batman. That crazy Batman. Has to know everything and if he doesn't know it, he works it into his new world order. To be expected, yes. Did I want something a little different? YES!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman, Volume 1.

Aaron Bock If you enjoy Scott Snyder you may check out Gates of Gotham, I didn't find it as good as this or American Vampire for a new take on vampires.

Jennifer Hendzlik I started reading American Vampire last night. Have you read Severed?!

Aaron Bock I haven't. Should I put it on the list? I forgot to say that I thought Black Mirror was a better Batman than Gates of Gotham as well!

Jennifer Hendzlik Ok, I loved American Vampire! Western swagger, sweet girl with big dreams and shivery horror.

You are the second person to recommend Black Mirror. *shuffles off to put on hold*

Severed is straight horror but it's good horror.