Malia's Reviews > AOC: The Fearless Rise of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and What It Means for America

AOC by Lynda Lopez

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, non-fiction

I like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as much as the next liberal millennial, so I was excited to get a chance to read this! That being said, I thought it would be more biographical. What it is, however, is a 240 page love letter. I am not a fan of fawning (I'm half German, that's not how we do) so you understand my rating is not a reflection of dislike for the woman on the cover, but the repetitive and slightly cringey content of the book. I kind of wonder what AOC would think of it? She doesn't seem like the kind of person who would much care to have people paint her a haloed hero. She seems too down to earth and self-aware for that. Of course, I understand that she and what she stands for means a lot to people, especially, perhaps, the Latinx community, and I don't want to diminish that, but I hoped for a deeper look at her rise and endeavors thus far. In any case, if you are an AOC superfan, you might like this, but I didn't feel it provided an especially balanced or nuanced look at the undeniably impressive, but human woman in question.

Thanks to the publisher for supplying me with a copy of AOC in exchange for an honest review.
Find my book reviews and more at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read AOC.

November 13, 2020 – Started Reading
November 13, 2020 – Shelved
November 13, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley
November 13, 2020 – Shelved as: non-fiction
November 13, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry Medlin Great review Malia and I agree with your assessment of AOC! She’s one to keep our eyes on!

Malia Barry wrote: "Great review Malia and I agree with your assessment of AOC! She’s one to keep our eyes on!"

Thank you, Barry!!

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris She's a little too far left for me, so superfan I am not. Great review, and now I know I should leave this at the bookstore.

Malia Chris wrote: "She's a little too far left for me, so superfan I am not. Great review, and now I know I should leave this at the bookstore."

Thanks, Chris! I like her and mostly agree with her politics, though I don't know if they would really work in this country. That being said, this book was a little too much fawning for me.