Jason Pettus's Reviews > What Pooh Might Have Said to Dante and Other Futile Speculations

What Pooh Might Have Said to Dante and Other Futile Speculations by Manny Rayner

Jul 08, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary, nonfiction
Read from July 08 to December 07, 2012

(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this review, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

My fellow CCLaP book reviewer Karl Wolff and I were having a discussion just the other day about the following subject -- that given what a wealth of original critical writing is being generated on a daily basis these days from pro-am critics at places like Amazon, Shelfari, LibraryThing, Netflix and IMDB, it's perplexing that more people aren't collecting up their essays in smart ways and releasing them as books, and trying to monetize a little all that effort they put into their online reviews throughout the year, in a way that's a lot more satisfying than simply rattling a virtual tip jar at every opportunity. Take for example ultra-popular Goodreads.com member Manny Rayner, who recently decided to do just that, gather up his hundred or so most popular write-ups based around such section topics as children's lit, foreign language, classics, experimental, etc., and release it as an ebook and print-on-demand paper volume at Amazon, since it costs literally no upfront money at all to do either. And the result is the delightful What Pooh Might Have Said to Dante, exactly what you expect it to be, a fun and smart callback to the days in the '70s when Pauline Kael and Fran Liebowitz were cranking out full-length books of their erudite reviews once a year as well, nothing essential for one's library but a great little collection to own, especially (forgive me, Manny) as a particularly well-timed bathroom book for hipster intellectuals. I think more online critics should be releasing books just like this one, so let Rayner's success be an object lesson for you all, that there are ways to potentially make a few hundred dollars a year from something you're doing for free already, without having to constantly beg for donations.

Out of 10: 9.0

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Pooh Might Have Said to Dante and Other Futile Speculations.

05/12/2016 marked as: read

Manny Pauline Kael! Bathroom book!!

Well, what can I say? Thank you Jason!

notgettingenough Forgive my being pedantic, but it is in a good cause. This is a Lulu book, NOT an Amazon book. It was released on Amazon as well over my live body. Not that I have any particular reason to think Lulu is a saintly organisation, but we know Amazon sucks. So, should anybody be thinking of buying this book as a consequence of this charming review, do so at www.lulu.com, not Amazon, please!!