Carol's Reviews > Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

6209911
Jul 08, 2012

did not like it
Recommended to Carol by: Rather not say!
Recommended for: No one
Read in May, 2011

This was probably one of the first New Age books to come out of the 70's. It is about a seagull, Jonathan, that finds enlightenment and helps other seagulls achieve the same.
A Master Seagull tells Jonathan, "Forget about faith. You don't need faith to fly, you need to understand flying." Jonathan exclaims, "Why, that's true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!" (Meanwhile, I am thinking of the Bible verse that says all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)
This book proclaims to be spiritual but instead offers only man's foolishness.

Contrast this with a review i wrote in Dec 1983, before I was a Christian:
'An inspirational novel.
Its about Jonathan, a seagull, who more than anything wanted to perfect flying, which meant being an outcast from the regular flock who did not believe in flying for flying sake alone.
In Jonathan's search for that perfect speed, he discovers there are no limitations as there are no limitations to the perfection of the human soul. Perfection is being there. he learns of the freedom from and time and space, that is, in the here and now.
And once again, Bach gives us the hope of being free like Jonathan.'

When I bought this book recently at a used book sale, I just remembered how I felt after reading it the first time. I was not aware of the humanistic, anti-Christian concepts. Rereading it was an eye opener. It says in the Bible to check all spirits for there are many false teachings out there. 1 John 4:1. How do you check the spirits? By comparing it with the Word of God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Livingston Seagull.