Alison O'Keefe's Reviews > Burn

Burn by Patrick Ness

I was so excited when I saw a new Patrick Ness in the bookshop that I even got the hardcover copy because I knew that I would want to share the book with someone after reading it. And I was right.

This Ness offering wasn't as punchy as I would have liked, I felt the ending was a little rushed and I couldn't tell if he was setting it up for a sequel or just being vague so we could draw our own conclusions - but it lacked finality.

The characters were awesome, and the world worked so well that we just don't question that there would be wastelands with dragons in them. Or that a weird religious cult would worship them - or that they would be so extreme - as that seems to go with the territory unfortunately.

The assassin was extremely well done in terms of character and development that made sense. I really enjoyed their story and how entangled it became. I liked how he drew the strands of everyone together in a way I wasn't totally expecting.

Lots of storylines going into one, but we didn't lose anything. I think it's the mark of an excellent writer to be able to have multiple characters and stories that meld together seamlessly and without anything becoming too confusing.

I did feel the ending could have been a little bit bigger - it was over so fast and then it was just done, moving on.

Loved it, would definitely recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn.

November 10, 2020 – Started Reading