Tanja Berg's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jul 08, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, kindle

I really did enjoy this, but I did not love it to the extent I thought that I would. It is a very solid achievement and very much the type of book I ought to love. Although I felt compelled to return to reading, I wasn't inclined to read for long stretches at a time. There was the tiniest bit of lack of forward tension. Or I simply did not really fall into the story until the last third of the book, which is also a possibility and not necessarily the author's fault.

Nonetheless, this book is magical from beginning to end. Two old foes have chosen a circus as a venue for a competition they play out regularly. They have bound two people, children in the beginning, to each other. Only one can be left standing in the end. Celia is first unaware of Marco, but he knows she is his competitor and later reveals himself to her. How it must end is something they choose not to see for many years.

The circus is not one of the sort that comes to mind first. This circus contains many extra-ordinary tents, which Marco and Celia keep adding to as they compete against each other. The circus is only open at night. It comes and leaves with no warning. The sights to be found within are afloat with magic, although most people think it is only a matter of clever tricks. There are many other "players" on the chess board than Celia and Marco. Most care deeply about the circus. I say "most" because the ones who initiated it as the latest competition ground are not that interested in the cirucs itself, only the accomplishments of Marco and Celia.

The writing is elegant, the story is fascinating, there is magic in every sentence. This is highly recommendable to anyone with the slightest inkling toward fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

July 8, 2012 – Shelved
July 10, 2012 – Started Reading
July 10, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 10, 2012 –
10.0% "I have no idea how I could have completely missed this book until earlier this week. Incredible. Right up my alley, despite the romance."
July 11, 2012 –
July 12, 2012 –
July 12, 2012 –
July 13, 2012 –
July 14, 2012 –
63.0% "As enchanting as this book might be, it does not entice to marathon reading."
July 15, 2012 – Shelved as: kindle