Petesea's Reviews > Prophet of Innovation: Joseph Schumpeter and Creative Destruction

Prophet of Innovation by Thomas K. McCraw

Jul 08, 2012

Read in June, 2011

Schumpeter was something else - great economist, teacher, mentor and a true innovator. Finding out more about him through this book makes me want to read his classic - Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy. So many of the terms we take for granted were dear to Schumpeter - creative destruction, innovation, capitalism, venture capital, business strategy and business history to name a few. He was truly a Renaissance Man - raised and educated in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, world traveler, lawyer, professor in Austria, Germany and at Harvard. And possibly one of the best teachers ever who was so self-effacing that he never mentioned his own work in his voluminous books and many lectures. How can anyone measure up to the high standards he set? My favorite quote from the book is "Schumpeter was never narrow, and always more than an economist."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prophet of Innovation.