Adam Graham's Reviews > Superman: The Golden Age Dailies-1944-1947

Superman by Alvin  Schwartz

Collecting Superman daily news strips from October 1944-July 1947, this series captures Superman at a point when the strips had become (mostly) more lighthearted, with most storylines having a strong comedic element. We get see things happen like Lois being left a fortune, her being engaged to Superman, and two talented elderly female cooks trying to make a man out of Mister Mxyzptlk. It's Superman as lighthearted fun before everything went all nuts in comics during the Silver Age. We get appearances by the Prankster, two by Mister Mxyzptlk, and one by Lex Luthor.

I will say that the second appearance of Mister Mxyzptlk was not as good, with his being a romantic rival for Superman being just a little too silly. I also thought Luthor's evil plan was a little too unambitious for him and not up to his usual standards.

The last story is a bit more serious as it addresses the Post-War concern of Juvenile delinquency by telling a story that focuses on two delinquents who are pals from different sides of the track. This one is pretty good for what it is. It featured, "Community House." The radio series would feature Unity House during its fights with the clan. I wonder if this was somehow related.

Overall, this is one of the more solid volumes of comic strips and well worth a read for those who like a lighter touch on the man of steel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman.

November 9, 2020 – Started Reading