Katherine's Reviews > The False Prophet: Conspiracy, Extortion and Murder in the Name of God

The False Prophet by Claire Booth

Oct 27, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Katherine by: Amazon.com
Recommended for: People interested in brain washing, cult mentality, and true crime
Read in October, 2008

This is an amazingly well organized true crime story about a small cult leader and the horrible crimes he committed. I appreciated the matter-of-fact way the author presented information, the way the author was able to convey facts without being partial to either the perp(s) or the victims. This book should appeal to anyone interested in cult mentality or psychological brainwashing as well as someone interested in psychological case studies of the cult-leader type.

The only reason I gave it the vote that I did and not a 5-star is that I did find the writing lacking at times and the very end, after being so objective, through me a curve ball as it became biased towards a philosophy that I do not believe in personally, which left a bad taste in my mouth. I think had the ending been presented as factually as the rest of the story this book would have gotten a 4/5 review.

Be warned, that due to the nature of the crimes committed, this book may be triggering for those with a weak stomach.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Prophet.