Chibineko's Reviews > Third Grave Dead Ahead

Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones

Jul 07, 2012

Before I say anything else, I have to give props to the narrator of this book: Lorelei King. Her voice works very well with Jones's characters and King does a good job of differentiating the various voices and emotions. King's Reyes is awesome and worth listening to. The book is good as it is, but her narration made it that much easier to sink into the reading and lose track of how long the audiobook was. If you have the chance to check this out via your local library, do it. It's worth the time to listen to.

Story-wise, I really enjoyed this book. I'll admit that Charley does get a little overly quip-y at times, but I found it endearing. It's her way of dealing with a world that's ultimately more stacked against her than for her at times. I think it's her emotional equivalent of a bullet-proof vest, something to help keep everyone at arm's length. Whether the quips will get in her way in the future will be an interesting thing to watch for.

I also loved her interactions with Reyes and I'm eager to see how their story unfolds in the next book. Their chemistry is undeniable, as is their affection for each other. But are they really good for each other in the long run? Should they even be together? My answer is still mostly yes, but parts of me can't help but wonder if she wouldn't be better off with one of the other characters in the series.

Oh, and I'm totally loving the idea of the potential and probably inevitable relationship between Cookie and UB. They're awesome together and to be honest, the series needs a stable and healthy relationship at this point to help provide a balance to the others. Charley is getting closer to some of her family members, but it's still somewhat shaky and it would be good for her to see what a good romantic relationship would be like. Goodness knows the relationship between her father and step-mother is pretty dysfunctional.

Well worth checking out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Third Grave Dead Ahead.

July 7, 2012 – Started Reading
July 7, 2012 – Shelved
July 7, 2012 –
20.0% "I have an entirely new love for audiobooks now!"
July 8, 2012 –