Kelly Roll's Reviews > Into the Darkest Corner

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

F 50x66
Jul 07, 2012

We are introduced to two very different people at the beginning of the book via the use of flashbacks. Cathy Bailey – a very paranoid young lady who must obsessively check her locks on her doors, take varying routes to and from work, follow certain routines etc. We are also introduced to her younger, much more vibrant self from four years ago, Catherine, a party girl who goes out nightly to party and who drinks too much and who sleeps around too much.
The story unfolds gradually to explain how Cathy reached the state she is currently in. We find out about her old boyfriend Lee as well as her newly budding relationship with her upstairs neighbor Stuart. Stuart happens to be a psychiatrist who gradually gets her the help she needs for her OCD.
The most fascinating part of the book for me was Cathy’s OCD and the author does a very good job of demonstrating how all invasive this disease can be.
I also appreciated the pace of Cathy’s “recovery” and rebuilding of confidence.
My one quibble is that I would have liked to have seen a few more scenes in the past where Lee interacts with and charms Catherine’s friends so we would better be able to understand why her friends take his side and not hers – We, the readers, know he is a no good, abusive man as the author shows us the classic signs of a controller, he controls their environment, tells her what to wear, limits interactions with friends, etc. What we do not see is him buffaloing her friends into thinking he is a standup guy, rather the author tells us this.
I found the book to be, no pun intended, compulsively readable, it was suspenseful enough for me that I ended up staying up late a few nights in a row in order to finish it, and yes I did start to check to make sure my windows were locked.
Can’t wait to see what the author writes next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Darkest Corner.