megs_bookrack's Reviews > Go the Distance

Go the Distance by Jen Calonita

bookshelves: arcs-read

3.5-stars rounded up**

Picking up directly after the events of the Disney animated movie, Hercules, Go the Distance follows Megara as she fights for her right to be with her love, Hercules.

After Herc regains his godship, the couple are ready to celebrate. As Hercules is called by his parents to return to Mount Olympus, however, they run into a problem. Zeus quickly points out that Meg cannot go, as she is a mere mortal.

Meg can't believe it. After everything they have been through, is this how it is destined to end?

Hercules is shocked as well and advocates to stay with Meg. He'd rather be with her in the regular world, than have a life of immortality alone.

His parents aren't going to stand for that though; no way. Hera, seeing how happy Meg makes her son, however, offers Meg a deal; a way for her to earn her way into a spot on Mount Olympus.

All she has to do is complete a mysterious quest in 10-days. Unfortunately, the quest involves saving her ex-boyfriend's, new wife's soul from the Underworld.

Obviously, Meg has some mixed feelings on this, but she agrees nonetheless. We're talking about eternity with the man she loves here.

Joining her for support is Philoctetes, better known as Phil. The coach to the Gods. If anyone can help Meg work through her quest, it is him. And let's not forget Pegasus!! He's along as well, to give Meg a helping hoof.

Meg needs to put her hurt emotions aside, as well as face her nemesis, Hades, again. She escaped his clutches once, could she be so lucky as to do it again?

I really had a fun time reading this story. I love Megara. She's one of my favorite characters within the Disney universe. She's smart, she's snarky and she's not constantly looking for a man to save her.

I enjoyed the backstory Calonita created for her. The loss of her mother, their relationship, her previous relationship with her ex-boyfriend and even Hades manipulation of her.

I thought the quest was fun. Having Phil and Pegasus along definitely made it more humorous. I loved watching both of them come to accept Meg for who she is.

Overall, I think this is a fun addition to this series. If you are a Megara fan, as I am, you should definitely give this one a shot!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Disney Books, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I always look forward to the new releases in the Twisted Tales series!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go the Distance.

November 8, 2020 – Shelved
November 8, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
March 23, 2021 – Started Reading
March 24, 2021 –
March 28, 2021 –
March 28, 2021 –
26.0% "I feel like the first part of the quest should of been more difficult.
I mean, it was hella dangerous, but lasted all of 5-minutes?

"
March 30, 2021 –
54.0% "I would love to see Meg, Pegasus and Phil white-water rafting -- hahaha"
March 31, 2021 –
April 1, 2021 –
72.0% "We're back in the Underworld, baby!!"
April 3, 2021 –
90.0% "Look at Meg. A political strategist. 😉"
April 3, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
April 3, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

MK ( Makayla) Heck yeah Meg is honestly one of the most unique Disney female leads . ☺️

megs_bookrack MK ( Makayla) wrote: "Heck yeah Meg is honestly one of the most unique Disney female leads . ☺️" Love her! Really excited to see what they do with the story.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara I always loved Meg!

megs_bookrack Sara wrote: "I always loved Meg!" She's the best! Definitely deserves some more love :)

Nicole Leigh Reads Thank you for putting this on my radar!!!

megs_bookrack Nicole Leigh Reads wrote: "Thank you for putting this on my radar!!!" I'm so excited, Nicole! I hope we love it :)

Mary Bronson Same!!! I 100% agree with you! I just finished the ARC and LOVED it! I think the author did Meg beautifully

megs_bookrack Mary wrote: "Same!!! I 100% agree with you! I just finished the ARC and LOVED it! I think the author did Meg beautifully" I am so happy to hear that you loved it, Mary!! Now I am even more excited. Starting soon! xx