Sara's Reviews > The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Oct 27, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2008, memoir

There are a lot of good thoughts in the book, filled with stories and advice from the author, who was given just months left to live. I have not seen the video of his lecture, so I can't compare the book with the actual lecture, but I did like his message in this, and I think this will be a wonderful gift to his children when they are old enough to read it.

What I liked about this is the number of life lessons he imparts and the encouragement given to others to achieve their own dreams - basically saying, if you work hard enough, your dreams can be achieved. He talks about brick walls being there to keep people out if they don't want it enough and how, if you really want something, you just need to be willing to do everything in your power to get past the brick wall and achieve it. I also really appreciated his thoughts on self-esteem and how this isn't accomplished by blindly praising children but by helping them understand the foundations for what self-esteem should be based on, helping them achieve what they wanted. There are a lot of lessons in here that are just so refreshing to hear, and the author is really likable.

It's a short read, but a very thought-provoking one, and I'd recommend this for anyone who has not yet read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.

October 27, 2008 – Shelved