Lee's Reviews > Book of Shadows

Book of Shadows by Alexandra Sokoloff

Jul 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: potato-chips

Bit of a slog to get through.

This is not my usual genre, but it started out pretty well and interested me enough to keep reading. Other than the reciting of the spells, the writing is decent. The spells, though, geez, they sounded like stuff a third-grade girl would make up. If these are "authentic" spells spouted by "real" witches, no wonder few people take them seriously.

The partnership between Garrett and Landauer seemed true. The procedural stuff seemed ok -- there were no overnight DNA results for example.

The sex scenes, well, easy to skim through. The one sex bit that really bothered me was what I would call a rape -- when Tanith drugged Garrett and they got it on. Don't know what the point of that was or why it isn't called out for what it is.

But, ultimately, it took longer and longer to get through. It could've been trimmed considerably and it would have made a more powerful book. Or maybe I was just getting less and less patient with all the occult BS. I was glad to see it finally end.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of Shadows.

message 1: by Tria (new)

Tria Ugh, not more rapey scenes from this author! I swear, I am not touching a damn thing of hers, questionable consent is way too prevalent in her writing. It's creepy as fuck, if you'll excuse my language.