Anastacia 's Reviews > Kiss the Dead

Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jul 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, paranormal, series, vampires, werewolves

minor spoilers are mentioned

Once again, yes, I read an Anita Blake book. I can't help myself; this was the first vampire series I fell in love with, & I really, really, really miss the "original" Anita Blake. I keep hoping she'll show up.

As with the last book, this one is another improvement in the series. The first sex scene doesn't take place for almost 200 pages, & there are only a few scenes in the whole book, rather tame & boring.

The plot - well, I'm not sure what to say on this subject. If you read what the book is supposed to be about, it sounds great -- but, the plot in reality falls really short of that. It's an interesting premise - another reviewer called them the Vampire Tea Party, & I like the phrase enough to use it. But it wasn't very well thought out, written well, & other than the barest mentions here & there throughout the book, the plot never really happened.

You don't see very much of Jean Claude in this one, which makes me happy as I'm rather sick of the guy. Anita sounds pretty sick of him, too, throughout the books, as she does talking about all the men in her life. They finally kick Asher to the curb, though only for a month or two. I was rather hoping Hamilton would kill of a few of the lovers or at least make them go away, so I was happy to see Asher go to the rather vague location of "new city".

All in all, I did like the book, I did finish it in only a few days, & I did like it enough that I'll read the next one, but I am left wondering once again why I am still bothering.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss the Dead.