wout's Reviews > Why We Swim

Why We Swim by Bonnie Tsui

bookshelves: zeal-pin, audiobook, sports, psychology, memoir, health, habits, skill

At the time of Lord Byron's Hellespont swim, he had published some poetry but had not yet established himself as one of the great Romantic poets. His successful crossing, though, got his muse talking, and he produced “Written after Swimming from Sestos to Abydos,” a satiric poem in homage to the swim and to the Greek myth of Hero and Leander. Leander, a young man from Abydos, falls in love with Hero, a priestess of Aphrodite who lives in a tower in Sestos. Every night, Leander swims the four miles of the Hellespont to visit Hero, guided by her lamp. One night the lamp blows out, and he drowns, overcome by the waves and currents. She throws herself from her tower to join him in death.

Byron, however, escaped with a bout of fever and chills, but for all his jaunty tone, he felt that swimming coaxed him out of melancholy, opened up his creative stores, and gave him access to his best self. In truth, the Hellespont became a touchstone for him and the strenous swim was what loosed his imagination. In time, “Byronic” would be a label for our most passionate seekers, swimmers, and artists. Byron came to represent a “concentrated mind,” as well as “high spirits, wit, daylight good sense, and a passion for truth—in short a unique discharge of intellectual vitality.”— Bonnie Tsui

This well-travelled story mentions the myriad motivations people have to jump in the water. Together these tales make a good case for swimming in the open water and why, see quote above, it makes for a more rewarding dive. Ranging from the Icelandic hero, Guðlaugur Friðþórsson to the Greek Hero, and from the Japanese Samurais to the Oceans Seven Swimmers. Each bring their own inspiring aspect to the table and the total sum makes swimming outdoors an admirable and worthwhile endeavour. The key is to not be afraid of the water's depths, its darkness and its potential to draw you down. Ultimately, you'll arise from the water anew; that's what John would do with you.

I give “Why We Swim” four miles stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Swim.

Quotes wout Liked

Bonnie Tsui
“For many swimmers, the act of swimming is a tonic, in that old-fashioned sense of the word: it is a restorative, a stimulant, undertaken for a feeling of vigor and well-being. The word tonic comes from the Greek tonikos, “of or for stretching.” About a dozen people”

Bonnie Tsui
“You don’t have to be a great swimmer to appreciate the benefits of sensory solitude and the equilibrium the water can bring.”

Bonnie Tsui
“Franz Kafka observed that “the truth is always an abyss. One must—as in a swimming pool—dare to dive from the quivering springboard of trivial everyday experience and sink into the depths, in order later to rise again—laughing and fighting for breath—to the now doubly illuminated surface of things.”

Bonnie Tsui
“Important, too, is the pride we feel in the well-exercised body. “The fuller sense of self we have,” Young once told an interviewer, “the more responsibility we take for it.”

Bonnie Tsui
“Seawater is so similar in mineral content to human blood plasma that our white blood cells can survive and function in it for some time. I delight in my mental picture of this, the not-so-fanciful notion that we have seawater circulating in our veins.”

November 5, 2020 – Shelved