Louis's Reviews > The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima

Oct 27, 2008

bookshelves: japanese

The first Mishima I read, and I was instantly in love (of course) it's both oedipal and misogynistic, tender and brutal, erotic and filthy.
Like many 20th century Japanese authors, his life is one I would probably do best not to replicate, but his passion for writing is admirable. A little too much though.
Definitely, definitely, definitely has to be read through to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea.

Finished Reading
October 27, 2008 – Shelved
November 11, 2009 – Shelved as: japanese

Amber Boyatzis I just read this, and then about his life, and now I feel very unsettled.

Louis Amber wrote: "I just read this, and then about his life, and now I feel very unsettled."

Last year, for PhD research, I read seven different biographies of Mishima. There's a scene in one where an old lover of Mishima's describes how he found it boring that Mishima's sexual fantasies all involved seppuku. So yes, unsettling.

For a light change, I'd recommend The Sound of Waves. Or if you like being unsettled, read the short story Patriotism (I believe it's in Death in Midsummer & Other Stories). I find it almost unreadable, but then again I have an aversion to anything pro-suicide (odd then that I'm doing a PhD on Mishima...)