Sherry Fundin's Reviews > Shades of Empire

Shades of Empire by Carmen Webster Buxton

9198006

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction

Alexander had come up with a plan to help Celia leave the palace, but they were caught. What would happen to them was not for the faint of heart.

Pilot Carmela woke Captain Madeline up with on edge of excitement in her voice. They had come across a life pod capable of holding twelve people and it had Imperial markings on it. What could it be doing out here? They shuttled over to the pod and found it welded shut with the Emperor's seal. Madeline figured that if Emperor Lothar didn't want it open that was a good reason to open it. They heard voices so hurriedly broke the seal. They found one man, breathing, naked, totally immobilized, looking like he had been beaten within an inch of his life. All of a sudden a mechanical arm appeared and injected the man, a holographic image came on and showed a woman being beaten, raped and worse. When the man's life support mask was removed the doctor showed Madeline the gold lines that proved he was one of the Emperor's soldiers.

Queen Bee was a smuggling ship and shouldn't have been where the pod was. If Alexander wanted to stay with the ship, Madeline would be happy to have him. Alex was surprised that his conviction for treason didn't bother her. She laughed and told him that most of her crew were deserters who didn't want to be kidnapped and forced to become o soldier for the Emperor.

Alexander was to bunk with the astrogator, Thaddeus, who everyone thought was an idiot savant. His conversations were short and to the point, no small talk. When Thaddeus woke Alexander from his nightmare, he spoke intelligently and appeared to more normal than before. Who was Thaddeus? Idiot during the day, rational human at night? What was he hiding?

Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Carmen's books seem to start out with me not sure if I'm going to like them and before I know it I'm so engrossed I can't put it down. She always has a lot of twists and turn in her stories. This book had some good ones that I didn't want to give away, so my synopsis of the story is short. Covers usually draw me to the book first and the brilliant colors caught my eye. There were numerous places where the crew was teasing Thaddeus and it made me laugh. Her blend of humor and horror always make for a lively read. I have read several other books by her. They are varied and all worth the read so be sure to look for them.

Shades of Empire Carmen Webster Buxton
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Empire.

July 6, 2012 – Shelved