Daniel's Reviews > Jesus and the Disinherited

Jesus and the Disinherited by Howard Thurman

This is one of those books that packs a big punch in a small package. Although Thurman wrote this in the late 1940s, it could have been written within the last several years. The situations he describes and the psychological motivations behind the actions of the disinherited seem as though he were writing this in response to the George Floyd riots of 2020.

Thurman gives deep insights into the mindset of the disinherited. Fear, deception, and hatred all blend together and feed each other to create a perfect storm of civil unrest, violence, aggression, contempt, and prejudice. If this book doesn't spark empathy towards others, especially those of other racial or socio-economic demographics, then I don't know what else will.

Since the time of his writing, we have indeed come a long way. We have desegregated. We have passed the Civil Rights Act. HOWEVER, while we can change laws, we haven't done a good job of changing hearts.

In light of everything that happened in 2020, if you are one who is seeking to broaden your understanding of racial issues plaguing America - this is one that must be added to your reading list. I'm grateful that this book was part of a local ministers book club we started this year. Definitely check it out, and have a pen ready. You will want to underline and jot down notes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus and the Disinherited.

November 3, 2020 – Started Reading