honestly mem's Reviews > Love Pistols, Volume 1

Love Pistols, Volume 1 by Tarako Kotobuki

Oct 26, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novel, fiction, books-you-should-never-read, personal-bookshelf, guilty-pleasures
Recommended for: absolutely nobody.

** spoiler alert ** This series is so terrible! And insane! I love it and would never recommend it to anyone. Those stars up there are not indicative of quality (one star! At most!) but my irrational love for this awful, ridiculous series.

It's difficult to address exactly how terrible a single volume is without discussing the series as a whole, but I will attempt to do so! Briefly. Briefly.

Why You Should Not Read This Volume of Love Pistols:

1) I do not have any trouble accepting the basic premise of the series, which is that there is a secret race of people who are also animals who are also human, evidently, I guess, I don't know, but I do wish Kotobuki would explain this (and the various facets of their biology and particular subculture) in a such a way that this made sense. But, uh, so long as you turn off your brain and coast through/ignore the few stories that are dependent on the audience understanding the Zooman biology/subculture, you're good to go!

2) I understand this is something of a tradition in the world of romance, but seriously, enough with the rape threats. Seriously. You know what would be awesome? Two people who respect one another courting each other in a respectful manner.

3) The facial! So, so gross. I think the fact that Kunimasa and Norio's relationship effectively begins with Kunimasa forcing himself on Norio and ejaculating onto Norio's face is the number one reason why Kunimasa and Norio's relationship is the relationship I like the least in Love Pistols.

4) Kotobuki's treatment of women in this manga makes me make this face: >\

I understand BL has a long and glorious tradition of ignoring the ladies, villainizing them, or reducing them to minor background characters, but that doesn't make it okay.

5) Man, what is up with all her romantic heroes being total jerks? Manipulative, possessive, rude, controlling, etc., etc. At least we haven't had any actual rape yet. (What's up, volume two!)

6) It's terrible.

(I love the artwork, tho', and I know I'm in the minority when I say this.)

And yet I love Love Pistols. I can think of absolutely nothing to recommend it, but it's easily my favorite of the various BL titles available in English, which is fairly damning commentary on either the state of the English-speaking BL market or my tastes. Pretty sure it's the latter.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Pistols, Volume 1.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Leah Your review it just oozes with BRILLIANCE! I don't necessarily agree with every point you made nor has the incredulity of Kotobuki-sensei's plot stopped me from reading BUT so many of your reflections are spot on!!! Thanks

Leah Your review just oozes with BRILLIANCE! I don't necessarily agree with every point you made nor has the incredulity of Kotobuki-sensei's plot stopped me from reading BUT so many of your reflections are spot on!!! Thanks