Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Smart Girls Get What They Want

Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer

bookshelves: did-not-finish

Being as that I've read several books lately featuring extremely dumb girls (actually, the girls have been smarter than the women I've read lately), I was quite interested in a book which was touting smart girls in the title.

I thought was I going to be all rawr girl power. You know - GET SOME, BITCHES. WE DON'T NEED TO TRIP OVER OUR SHADOWS, OR GIGGLE AND BOUNCE LIKE IDIOTS TO GET WHAT WE WANT.

Truth be told, I couldn't get into it. This might very well have been a cute book, but it read too much like a day in the life of...go here, talk about this, do this, etc. It just wasn't what I was in the mood for. I didn't read enough to know if the book itself was good or bad.

Something about the writing style reminded me a little of a Ruby Oliver or Confessions of an Angry Girl type of book (which were both cute books in their own right), so if you're into that type of storytelling, you might find that Smart Girls will work for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smart Girls Get What They Want.

July 6, 2012 – Shelved
April 5, 2013 – Started Reading
April 5, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Jennifer Lane Too bad this one wasn't for you. I enjoyed it!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I honestly think it was just my mood at the moment. If I'd picked it up at some other time, I might have really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Billington Have you read Frankie Landau Banks? That's a smart girl book you may enjoy in this mood. Timing can be everything can't it, when it comes to books, TV, etc. If you're not in the mood you won't enjoy it no matter if it IS amazing.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I hadn't but I'll give it a look. Thanks. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) And it's from the author of Ruby Oliver!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Billington Indeed it is :) Sounding promising, is it?

message 8: by Dali (new)

Dali I have noooo idea what this book is about but I liked the tittle!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Me too, that's why I picked it up!

message 10: by Gina (new)

Gina Conkle Hi Stacia,

I'm curious, what kind of woman do you like to read about? Was this a case of the girl/her life was boring?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I like reading about strong, confident, and smart women (or young women).

It doesn't matter if the person is a brainiac or a sex kitten - I just like seeing women use what they have to empower themselves.

Yes, I was bored with the day-to-day interactions and conversations. I felt like I was waiting for something to happen.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I've been meaning to try that book. I'll have to bump it the list. Thanks!