Mariah's Reviews > Giant

Giant by Edna Ferber

Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Ferber's Pulitzer prize-winning "So Big," I was excited to begin this one. The book "Giant" was a quick and very enjoyable read and did not disappoint this eager reader. The story takes place in Texas around the time of the Depression and World War II. I found the story to be very captivating and the imagery wonderfully vivid. Just hearing about the scalding heat that the characters experienced made me feel hot! :)
It was easy to get lost in this story and as I read the words seemed to disappear and I was there in Texas. So, yes, I love this author's style of writing and the storyline is wonderful. However, I must say that the book does not end on the happiest note. Edna Ferber seems to be somewhat of a Realist, and her books, while enjoyable, are not always the most uplifting. I prefer books that's conclusion is more positive - which is the reason I give this book four stars instead of five. It's not a depressing book or anything like that, and it's not that the ending was really sad. It just could've been - happier.
I would definitely recommend this book, regardless of it's slight lack of "happiness".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giant.

July 5, 2012 – Started Reading