Magen Corrie's Reviews > Exiled

Exiled by M.R. Merrick

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, young-adult

Exiled is a series I was very excited to start. And when that happens I try not to put too much on the book, just in case, to not get my hopes up. Now, was Exiled, the first book in the protector series, a book that got my hopes up and wasn’t what I thought it would be? It wasn’t. I really enjoyed Exiled. It was pretty much all the awesome I thought it would be, though, in honesty, I did feel like it could have been a bit more awesome.

Exiled is an action packed, demon slaying, element wielding kind of book. It had a great mixture of so many different supernatural elements thrown in, that it was a book that stands out in a way. It is hard to find a book that stands out, and though Exiled doesn't stand out too much, it is an interesting world to get lost in. I loved all the elements that Merrick wove into his story. And boy, do I wish I picked up this baby sooner!!

“You know, you're like a walking magnet for weird shit, Chase.”

In Exiled, you are in Chase Williams' head, and let me just say, I thoroughly loved reading the book from his cocky, and a bit arrogant, viewpoint. It’s always refreshing to read from a male’s POV, and that is what Chase is, refreshing. As I stated before, he is an interesting, cocking and arrogant character, but that is Chase’s charm. You get to really see and experience his world, his problems and his development through his eyes. And seeing his world was amazing. With all the problems Chase faced in Exiled, I say he is a very strong character and I cannot wait to see where he will go.

Another character that was as kick-ass as Chase would have to be the half demon *drum roll* Rayna! Man, that girl is tough, and I loved every second her and Chase bumped heads! It could get a bit intense! Like Chase, when reading Exiled, you get to see Rayna’s character, and who she is. See the trouble, pain and suffering she has to endure. Now, where Chase is arrogant and sometimes acts before he thinks, Rayna is the opposite. She, in a way, balances him out. And getting to see her grow, too, was pretty darn amazing.

Though, Rayna and Chase are amazing characters, every character in Exiled is unique. Merrick did pretty amazing creating the characters within the circle, outside the circle and in the other dimensions that Chase and Rayna travel to.

“Chase, the first thing you need to know is that you don't know anything.”

With a great round up of characters, you also have a world that is very interesting in Exiled. You have a secret society, built on old traditions. You then have the underworld, with many other dimensions thrown in. Not only that, but you have an array of supernatural creatures and powers to add a bang to the story. And, well, it’s pretty much amazing. With the wielding of elements, going to be honest, got a very Avatar: the Last Airbender (yeah I loved that show, not the movie, the show) feel going on, with the ability the Circle, or the hunters, are able to control. Nothing wrong with that, but even with that feeling, I enjoyed it. Then you have the creatures of Exiled, and boy, they were something else. Very creepy!

Let's not forget the trouble that brews in Exiled. In Chase's world, he thought, in a way, it was all black and white. But then, he is thrown into something he cannot believe. I like that Merrick challenged the main characters view point on demons and the society he is suppose to be helping. It creates a good conflict for Chase to overcome.

The only complaint I have is that at times, I felt the book was too fast paced and was skipping out on details that, as a reader, I would love to have. Not saying the book wasn't great paced, with detail that fully immersed me into that world, it was just at points in the book it felt like there should have been more detail and a slower pacing.

With the trails Chase has to face, to the challenges that are presented to him and Rayna, Exiled was an action filled, and bad ass element wielding book. So, if you enjoy those components, give this one a try. I enjoyed it, and I can’t wait till I get the next book in my hands!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exiled.

July 6, 2012 – Shelved
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 21, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal
March 21, 2013 – Finished Reading
May 17, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ali Yay, you liked it! Chase and Rayna are awesome, love them!!