Penny's Reviews > Oppression

Oppression by Jessica Therrien

Jul 06, 2012

bookshelves: summer-reads-2012, reviewed
Read from July 06 to 13, 2012

Sort of a modern-day mix of Romeo and Juliet and The Odyssey, Oppression was an interesting read. I had almost forgotten about it, putting it down about three pages before it got really good. A fast read, I finished it in a couple sittings, though they were admittedly very far apart. I've been into stories surrounding the greek gods lately, and this one was a little bit different from a lot of the ones I've read. Though yes, there was the seemingly required romance, and lots of it, it also had some very creative ideas driving the plot. The Descendants are descendants (go figure) of greek gods, passed down generation to generation. The Descendants are all gifted in their own unique ways, and age incredibly slowly.

Elyse spent most of her (exceptionally long) life living with her adopted mother, who died at the ripe age of eighty-something, leaving Elyse to fend for herself, with the physical appearance of an eighteen year old. Elyse moves to an apartment over a cafe with a cast of odd characters, one of whom she is especially curious about, William. But when William drags her out of the cafe the back way to escape from an intimidating girl she's never seen before, she knows something is up. He tells her that she is a descendant of an ancient greek god, and that her exceptional power to heal anyone who shares blood with her is because her mother was also a healer. She is the last of the healers, and the subject of a prophecy declaring that she will lead the rebellion that changes everything for the Descendants. (view spoiler) But Elyse's human best friend isn't a Descendant, and Elyse must choose between protecting her best friend and keeping her life in the Descendant's world.

Oppression is actually probably more like 3.5 stars, but I'm going to rate it four in anticipation of the next installment in the series. I have to admit that I was left wanting more from the ending, and not in an addictive and good way. I just wasn't expecting it to end . . .

All in all, a solid read, and completely worth my time, and probably yours too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oppression.