The Tick's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Jul 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: alternate-history, urban-fantasy

** spoiler alert ** The whole "humans have a secret group that's trying to wipe out vampires/werewolves/witches/whatever supernatural species show up in the book" is one of my least favorite urban fantasy plots to begin with, and this rendition wasn't good enough to transcend my general dislike of the trope. (Not that it was bad, just that a book with this plot would have to be truly stunning for me to really love it, and this one just didn't get there.)

I was much more interested in what was going on with the other characters, and while it was nice that this one was fairly Trent-heavy, I missed seeing Rachel interact with some of her other friends, especially Ivy, who really didn't seem to get much screen time in this one.

I was also disappointed that Harrison seems to assume that everyone has read her short stories/novellas (I don't really like short fiction, even if it's by authors I typically enjoy). While we got a recap of other plot elements from previous books, she didn't explain who "Daryl" was until most of the way through the book even though she was mentioned in the very first chapter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.