Kathi's Reviews > First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

Recommended to Kathi by: Saw it on B&N.com
Recommended for: Sandra Ottinger

I just finished reading this book - another one I had a hard time putting down - I read it in 3 days. I learned so much from this memoir which takes place, starting in April 1975 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. At this point the Cambodian Civil War has not quite taken hold. The narrator of the story is a 5 year old girl, the 2nd to youngest in a family of 7 children. She comes from a rather well-off, very loving middle-class family who live in the capital of Cambodia; Phenom Penh. The 5 year old takes us through 5 years of the war up to the S. Vietnamese liberating them. Eventually, she makes her way to the U.S. as a refugee.
This unbelieveably true story had me in tears in places. The author, Loung Ung is a real survivor. She also wrote a sequel to this one called Lucky Child: A Daughter of Cambodia Reunites with the Sister She Left Behind which I plan on reading.
For those of you who enjoy reading memoirs that take place in far off places, or about historical eras, or to read a book about a very strong woman who is a real survivor; I would highly recommend this book. It is very educational & at the same time, moving, emotional & thought provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First They Killed My Father.

Started Reading