Amy Bailey's Reviews > A Walk Across the Sun

A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

This book was excellent. It's a very thrilling and poignant look at the modern sex trade, politics and all. It is devastating and scary. This books makes me want to get on a plane and try to change the world, though I probably wouldn't be as good at it as Thomas. I loved all the characters (the good ones, anyway. I despised the lecherous bastards who enslave young women for their own personal gain.) This is a story of personal growth on many different levels. Thomas is fraught with devastation following the death of his infant daughter, and the pain of the event causes his marriage to crumble. Sita and Ahalia (don't know if I'm spelling those right, because I listened to this book) are fraught with devastation for more reasons than they can count. Through it all, however, they hold true to the bond that will never truly separate them, and this gives them the strength that many women in the same predicament will never have. This story is beautiful and haunting, and though the subject matter is an incredibly difficult one to tackle respectfully and delicately, I believe the author did an excellent job. The most difficult scenes were done tastefully and were no so full of shock value it turns your stomach. Many times, even in books that are seemingly AGAINST the particular subject, the violence is written in such a way that makes me think it should be titillating. It's for entertainment value, which I find almost as deplorable as the crime itself. Not so in this case. Addison tastefully choreographed each scene so as to present a despicable scene so the reader can understand the gravity of the situation without going too far. Addison also seemed to do an incredible and commendable amount of research, and the action seemed extremely realistic. The difference between this and reality, however, is that there are few heroes like Thomas Clark. Very few people would drop everything for the sake of finding and rescuing that one girl. That brings me great sadness. I wish every young girl out there had an advocate like Thomas Clark.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk Across the Sun.

July 6, 2012 – Started Reading