Alison's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Jul 06, 2012

bookshelves: nonfiction, read-in-2012, ali-recommends, worth-the-hype, goodreads-choice-winners, memoir

3.5 stars. This is not a book I would typically choose to read, but I'm glad that I read something different. This blunt, honest memoir recounts Cheryl Strayed's 1,100 mile solo hike on the Pacific Crest Trail from California to Oregon when she was 26-years-old. During this time, she describes her experiences on the trail in a way that made me feel as if I were walking alongside her, while weaving in flashbacks about her broken past and reflecting on her life. I found myself amazed by Cheryl's courage, persistence, and determination; this is one strong woman who refuses to give up! While this book was slow at times and nothing extremely exciting happened, it kept me interested and I was intrigued by the author's character. Throughout the book, I watched her grow from an ill-prepared, inexperienced hiker to the "Queen of the PCT" with a renewed outlook and deeper understanding of herself. This book demonstrates the incredible strength of the human body and spirit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

Quotes Alison Liked

Cheryl Strayed
“It had nothing to do with gear or footwear or the backpacking fads or philosophies of any particular era or even with getting from point A to point B.

It had to do with how it felt to be in the wild. With what it was like to walk for miles with no reason other than to witness the accumulation of trees and meadows, mountains and deserts, streams and rocks, rivers and grasses, sunrises and sunsets. The experience was powerful and fundamental. It seemed to me that it had always felt like this to be a human in the wild, and as long as the wild existed it would always feel this way.”
Cheryl Strayed, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail