Jenny's Reviews > Darkness on the Edge of Town

Jul 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read from July 14 to 15, 2012

In many respects this story of what happens when a man takes a car crash victim under his wing deserves more than 3 stars - the characterization is excellent for one - but I was so disappointed with the ending I can't be more generous. About halfway through the book I pondered on possible meanings of the title and had an ah-ha moment where I thought I could see where the author was going. If she pulled it off I planned to shout her name from the rooftops. Alas she wasn't planning anything clever. The climax, when it came (if you'd call it that) was sadly predictable, and the ending was more of a stopping than an ending, as though Cole had run out of paper and thought, bugger it, that'll do. Such a shame because this story could have been awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Luke Jenny, I’m not sure I agree with you on this. That you wanted something clever and climatic suggests you actually hoped for a predictable ending and you felt let down you didn’t get it. For me, this story was incredibly raw and authentic. There was something strangely familiar and lifelike in the way it was told. In keeping with this genuineness right till the last word, I feel that Jessie Cole simply finished her book in a way that some things end in the real world. Not clever. Not climatic. But true to life. I thought it was a brilliant debut novel, the ending and all.

Jenny I do agree with all you say, Luke. This really is a wonderful piece of writing. It's just that, for me, I wanted more from the plot. It must be said that I am a highly critical reader. We all like what we like, which is a good thing, otherwise it would be a boring world. Happy reading!

J