David Darling's Reviews > Rain

Rain by Leigh K. Cunningham

M 50x66

I read Rain, Leigh K. Cunningham's first work of fiction for adult readers, knowing it wasn’t a romance novel, even if it dealt with the romantic affairs of several women in an Australian family in the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.

Rain is a clear-eyed account of those affairs, boldly telling us why the women do what they do and why the men they fall in love with mostly fail them.

And yet, even as Helena, her daughter Carla, and the other women in Rain err romantically, Cunningham’s unsentimental telling of her story made me take them seriously. I could only sympathize with them. If I were in their positions, wouldn’t I err no less badly than they do?

Nor did Cunningham’s tale preclude my sympathy for the majority of the male characters. They do what they do because, given their limited view of the world, that’s what males do.

Rain is a profound current-day tragedy. It’s for the serious reader, the one like myself who wants no unjustified, lighthearted optimism but a deep involvement, to the point of tears, with characters who are all too real.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rain.

Started Reading