Kate's Reviews > Single in the City

Single in the City by Michele Gorman

Jul 05, 2012

it was ok
Read from July 05 to 08, 2012

This book let me down. I was hoping to like it more...granted it is considered "chick lit" I generally enjoy reading novels like this once in a while for various reasons. Not that I was expecting the next great American novel or anything, but here are a few things which turned me off from this book.
1) There was not much continuity between chapters, and sometimes even between paragraphs/sections within the chapter.
2) I felt like the autor was trying too hard to be witty/clever, and therefore most of the writing was of the inner thoughts of the main character, which I did not consider funny/amusing.
3) Yes, I realize one of the main purposes was for the main character to find a boyfriend/future husband when she moved to a new city to start a new life...but it was too much, and I thought she just threw herself at different boys and had like 4 things going on with each man. I knew which guy she was going to end up with..but when she did it didn't turn out to be what it was built up to be. I guess it was built up to have a sequel.

That being said, I did think that as I got toward the end of the book it got better, and I enjoyed it more than in the beginning. I also read the Nook version, which turned out to be annoying because the format was double spaced and you can't control that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Single in the City.

07/07/2012
58.0% "I'm really not enjoying this book. Was hoping it was going to be better."

message 1: by Julliet (new)

Julliet I agree...I did not like it at all. Not to be mean, but some authors need to rethink their career.