Michelle's Reviews > Storykeeper

Storykeeper by Daniel A.  Smith

Jul 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: freebies, historical-fiction
Recommended for: fans of historical fiction, early North American history, Native American culture and storytelling

This was an interesting glimpse into a time period that I know very little about: North American native culture during the invasion of Hernando de Soto and the Conquistadors. The book is in the form of a story within a story within a story, mostly in the voice of the storyteller Manaha, who, in relating the story of her life, also passes on those told to her by her grandfather. It is beautifully descriptive of the land at that time and the now-extinct civilization that inhabited it. I really enjoyed the language and the poignant ending.

Since this is a book of storytelling, it was a great choice for reading aloud to others, and my listener enjoyed it, too. However, the book (this edition at least) would benefit from some thorough proofreading. The many typos and extra commas broke the flow of the text, especially when reading aloud.

I discovered Storykeeper on a list of deals for the Kindle and was glad I did. Definitely worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storykeeper.

July 5, 2012 – Shelved