Kayla Beck's Reviews > Asunder

Asunder by Jodi Meadows

Jul 05, 2012

bookshelves: 2013-read, 2013-release, fantasy, romance, science-fiction, young-adult
Read from December 23 to 27, 2013

Review originally posted at Bibliophilia, Please.

Asunder is the follow-up to Jodi Meadows' debut novel, Incarnate , set in the fantastical world of centaurs, dragons, sylphs, and souls that have been reincarnating for thousands of years, except for Ana, a newsoul. However, we get to see in Asunder a little more of what it means to have a boyfriend who is five thousand years older (yes, you read that right) than the heroine, how people react to losing loved ones for good after many thousands of years together, and how the replacement newsouls will be treated.

I guess I should start by admitting that Sam, the five thousand year old boyfriend, still gives me the creeps, though I understand him a little better now. I also think he's a brat for the way he treats Ana. (Dude, you can't be dad and boyfriend - that's why May-December romances have so many problems.) I did like that Ana got over her rainbow-farting, self deprecation. She stood up for herself for all of one and a half pages toward the end of the novel, and I loved to see her with some backbone. I also wanted to hug her for how she dealt with the evolution of her relationship with Sam - she was true to herself and him. I really respected that. I know that I sounded a little ugly about the two of them, but I do have an attachment to those two, though I'd like to throttle them both at times.

The world-building is what makes this trilogy worth reading. The world Meadows created is unlike any other that I've read, and the mystery surrounding it (the sylphs, reincarnation, Janan, etc.) has kept me glued to the books. The twisty bits in Asunder made me do the happy dance because I'm not surprised by many things, and there were aspects of the story that I didn't see coming. Also, thank Bob I have Infinite because I MUST KNOW THESE THINGS!

Though I'm rating Asunder the same as Incarnate , I like it leagues better than the first book. (My rating skew has changed, but I'm not bumping this one up to adjust or downgrading an original rating.) If you like fantasy novels that are completely unique, this series may be worth it to you to check out.

- 3.5/5 Stars -

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asunder.

12/23/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/24/2013
17.0% "Okay, the Sam-Ana romance isn't QUITE as icky."
12/27/2013
56.0% "Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives... Jeez, is everyone in love with everyone else?"
12/27/2013
76.0% "I like Ana a million times better right now."
77.0% "Nevermind."
12/27/2013
84.0% "Well now, things have gotten a little more interesting. And I had no idea who the mole was! Huzzah!"
12/27/2013
99.0% "*sigh* On to the next one!"
12/27/2013 marked as: read