Shelly's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: classics, fantasy-and-science-fiction

I don't usually read fantasy, but his classic was a very pleasant surprise! It was much funnier and accessible than I ever expected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

Quotes Shelly Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“You have nice manners for a thief and a liar," said the dragon.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Trolls simply detest the very sight of dwarves (uncooked).”

“Voiceless it cries,
Wingless flutters,
Toothless bites,
Mouthless mutters.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Thief, thief, thief! Baggins! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“You ought not to be rude to an eagle, when you are only the size of a hobbit, and are up in his eyrie at night!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“It was at this point that Bilbo stopped. Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterward were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in the tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars, not if you care for such things.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“My Precious, my Precious.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“What have I got in my pocket?" he said aloud. He was talking to himself, but Gollum thought it was a riddle, and he was frightfully upset.
"Not fair! not fair!" he hissed. "It isn't fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it's got in it's nassty little pocketsess?”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“please don't cook me, kind sirs! I am a good cook myself, and cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“This is a story of how a Baggins had an adventure, and found himself doing and saying things altogether unexpected.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien
“No dragon can resist the fascination of riddling talk and of wasting time trying to understand it.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not Today. Good morning! But please come to tea -any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Good bye!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“You may not like my burglar, but please don't damage him.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“The road goes ever on and on”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“It was a hobbit hole, and that means comfort”
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit or There and Back Again

J.R.R. Tolkien
“There is little or no magic about them, except the ordinary everyday sort which helps them to disappear quietly and quickly when large stupid folk like you and me come blundering along, making a noise like elephants which they can hear a mile off.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“We are plain quiet folk, and I have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, and uncomfortable things.”

J.R.R. Tolkien
“When he heard there was nothing to eat, he sat down and wept… “Why did I ever wake up!” he cried.”

July 5, 2012 – Shelved
August 15, 2012 – Started Reading
August 16, 2012 –
0.0% "Okay, so my NOOK doesn't tell me the percentage of the book I've read so far, but I just finished Chapter 1 and I can say that I am pleasantly surprised - I didn't expect it to be so funny. Can't wait to read the rest and then see the movie(s) :)"
August 18, 2012 –