Debbie Terranova's Reviews > All Our Shimmering Skies

All Our Shimmering Skies by Trent Dalton

An epic tale, in the spirit of the Brothers Grimm, set in the impossibly harsh country of Australia's Top End. The characters are intriguing and larger-than-life, in particular the 12-year-old gravedigger girl (Molly Hook), her glamorous actress side-kick (Greta Maze), and the Japanese deserter (Yukio) who falls from the sky.
The plot is brutal, bleak, fast-paced, surreal, compelling, inspirational. At times the narrative and characterization becomes so far-fetched that the 'willing suspension of disbelief' almost crumbles and you must remind yourself that this is essentially a fairy-story. Extremes of love and hate are to be expected. Characters are meant to be vile villains or invincible heroes; conflict is meant to be cruel; rescues are meant to be daring; and miracles are meant to happen.
Dalton's use of language is fluid, vibrant, confident, colourful and bleak, deliciously descriptive, and at times repetitious to the point of irritation. The 'Dig, Molly, dig' and its variations are a certainly overdone.
Overall, the novel offers readers an amazing escape to a magical place in the 'deep country' of our ancient land.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Our Shimmering Skies.

October 24, 2020 – Started Reading