L.P. Hernandez's Reviews > A Cosmology of Monsters

A Cosmology of Monsters by Shaun Hamill

I read A Cosmology of Monsters directly after reading Lovecraft Country. There are some vague similarities between the two, and I found Cosmology a more enjoyable read. Both works are family dramas navigating through a horror backdrop. Cosmology is light on horror, a few instances of gore and tension surrounding disappearances and crumbling mental states. Whereas Lovecraft felt, at times, like a novella paired with a series of short stories, Cosmology is mostly linear, beginning with the parents of the eventual protagonist as college-aged students. We get a whiff of danger here, before the story picks up with the now parents in their lower-middle class life. There are monsters lurking in the background, if not the flesh and blood kind at least the idea or thought of them. For Noah, the protagonist, monsters (one in particular) are the defining characteristic of his young life. That relationship is the central thread of the story, but the fine capillaries that sprout from it are just as interesting, especially the dynamic between Noah and his sister, Eunice, who often leaves suicide notes around the house. There was an unexpected shift in the relationship between Noah and his monster, which drives the story to its satisfying conclusion. I enjoyed the narrative flares, the deviations between chapters written in story form by Eunice. I even enjoyed not fully grasping some aspects of the story, including the nature of the monster and "the city." I would recommend this book to fans of Gaiman and King's more heartfelt works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cosmology of Monsters.

October 15, 2020 – Started Reading