Cecelia's Reviews > Capture the Flag

Capture the Flag by Kate Messner

Jul 04, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

When I picked up Kate Messner’s middle grade adventure Capture the Flag at the Scholastic booth at Book Expo America last month, I knew it would be the perfect book to review on July 4th, the United States’ Independence Day. I mean, a book about the famous flag that inspired the national anthem is… as patriotic as it gets.

Anna, José and Henry are three of the hundreds of people stuck at a Washington, DC airport during a snowstorm when the world finds out that an extremely old and historic flag has been stolen from the Smithsonian Museum of American History. Anna, an aspiring news reporter, is determined to get the real story, and she marshals José, Henry, and their 8-year-old friend Sinan into an investigative force. They must work together, find their way out of dangerous situations, and corral one overactive dog (Hammurabi) to have any chance of saving the day.

The story is mostly told from Anna’s point of view, and Anna, a devotee of Harriet the Spy and longing to be grown up and in the thick of things, is a force to be reckoned with. Her determination to do the right thing is admirable, and though the reader might find her a little bossy, it’s an understandable ‘let’s save the world!’ sort of bossiness. José is a reader and a quotation gatherer, and his clear thinking and timely advice often help the rest of the group sort out what they should do. Henry is addicted to video games, and this (surprisingly) is one of his great assets – because he knows how the spies and thieves in his game act.

While the characters are drawn with care and the action is non-stop, the mystery itself is fairly easy to solve. The plot twists may work with younger readers, but preteens to adults should figure out the puzzle quickly. That doesn’t take away from what the book does well – it is an entertaining adventure/mystery featuring protagonists from different ethnic backgrounds with a historical artifact as a subject and themes of international cooperation. I imagine it will do very well in upper elementary classrooms as additional reading for American history curricula.

While I didn’t fall in love with the book like I did with The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, I can see where this book fits, and I think it will find a home with lower level readers and perhaps spark a love of reading, history and mysteries in the hearts of those kids.

Recommended for: fans of the Boxcar Children series, those who enjoy middle grade mysteries, and any child who enjoys museums, history, and a simple caper.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Capture the Flag.