Between the Bind's Reviews > The End of Sunshine Street

The End of Sunshine Street by Johanna Constance Hunt

Jul 04, 2012

it was ok

So, when Johanna emailed me about needing reviewers for her book, the blurb was pretty enticing. I occasionally read chick lit and even dabble with mysteries so I thought this would be a unique book to add to my list.

I really wanted to love this book - I did. Unfortunately, I had to force myself to finish it. The story line was rather dry and even the climaxes were a minor blip on my climactic radar. The romance was seemingly non-existent...and so was the mystery.

Here is a summary of our plot:
Judy is a forty-something who met her husband on a trip to Peru. She doesn't take chances, isn't overly flirtatious, actually...she's pretty average in every way. Although she marries self-made millionaire Sam, Judy still enjoyes working as a physical therapist at the local hospital. She is content with her simple (millionaire) life with Sam and her cat, Jack.

Average friends. Average dinner parties. Average life. I've read many books about average characters that I could connect to, but sadly, I couldn't find one in TEOSS.

I was waiting, waiting for something big to happen in this book. Throughout the hurricane I was quickly flipping pages hoping someone would be murdered or for Judy to go all Rambo - but nata.

What I ended up getting was a husband who expected nightly sex no matter the "excuse", a seemingly spineless wife, a plethora of coffee/dinner/drink making, ridiculously polite people hosting obscenely rude people, and a cool cat named Jack.

I wasn't even bothered by the big "she-did-what?!" scene. It didn't seem to matter to Judy, so it didn't really matter to me.

There were parts of the book that I enjoyed. I loved Johanna's ability to work a sentence. She is a great writer - very fluid and detailed. I liked the setting of Palm Beach and even the idea that Sam created genetically altered 4-inch cats! I just didn't connect with Judy, Sam, or their life. I suppose the point made was simply how an average person can create havoc by making average decisions - and that's just what Judy did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Sunshine Street.

July 4, 2012 – Started Reading
July 4, 2012 – Shelved
July 4, 2012 –
page 229
July 4, 2012 –
page 308
July 4, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly The lack of synopsis on this on bothers me! There isn't even a description of it on Goodreads. I am anxious to read your review of it!

Between the Bind Shelly wrote: "The lack of synopsis on this on bothers me! There isn't even a description of it on Goodreads. I am anxious to read your review of it!"

Just posted my friend! :)

message 3: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Read it! I meant no description on Amazon...not goodreads!

Between the Bind Shelly wrote: "Read it! I meant no description on Amazon...not goodreads!"

Yes - that was really odd right? I should've posted the blurb before my review...I may do that in a minute.

Meganm922 Great review, I felt the same exact way about this book.

Between the Bind Meganm922 wrote: "Great review, I felt the same exact way about this book."

Thank you Megan! :) Glad to know I wasn't the only one. :)