Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl's Reviews > To Kill A Warlock

To Kill A Warlock by H.P. Mallory

Jul 04, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read from July 04 to 05, 2012

This was suggested by a discussion board on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6... and proved to be an excellent suggestion. It's always nice to be introduced to new authors and find a book series you can really get your teeth into.

Initially the first few chapters were not as captivating as I would have liked, but the writing flowed enough to keep me mildly intrigued. Then when the pace picked up, the romance started to appear and the mystery began to take on a life of its own, I was hooked.

By the time I finished the first book, I was an H.P. Mallory fan.

Dulcie is a fairy, I particularly like the fairy dust in the palm idea: shake a little dust, make a little magic. Cute! There are vampires, one in particular called Bram, who manages to steal the scenes he's in, and other Netherworld creatures all seemingly of demonic or fairy-like origins. Romance does exist and becomes more apparent as the book goes on. I really like Knight Vander from the Netherworld Relations Office.

These books are firmly in the PNR genre, with a little murder/mystery thrown in for good measure. The cover art would have you believe it is packed full of humour. There is some, but it is only mild and occasional. This is definitely a book worthy of getting your teeth into. Not too light - plastered with hilarious moments - but not too heavy either. For me, it is a perfect match to the style of story I like reading.

So, I'm going with a 7/10: "Good solid read, something to get your teeth into" on the NBRS. It just misses out on an 8 and a place on my Top Reads Bookshelf, simply because it didn't hit the ground running, but I am positive that the author has a gem here and any books further in the series will perform. I can't wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Kill A Warlock.