Priya's Reviews > Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: a therapist, her therapist, and our lives revealed

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb

liked it

I couldn't tell you exactly which parts of this I didn't like. Because, that's just it, they all made sense. They all made me feel, many of them quite strongly. They resonated with me and helped me reconnect with my "therapy journey." What I find annoying is that the book is paradoxically about too much and too little! It has so many things crammed into it - dealing with breakups, personal loss, age, mortality; about boundaries, empathy, avoidance, anxiety, and so on and so forth. And I kept turning pages, flitting between this patient's story and that, looking for a final point - a thread that connected them all into... one entire book. I was recommended this book by many people, and I was too eager to read it; so it fell even more flat. And about halfway into the book, I realised that the title should have made me recalibrate my expectations to begin with: "our lives revealed" is such a casually sweeping promise. It could mean everything and nothing; and that's what it is! I didn't know she was a columnist when I picked up the book; but in retrospect, I think I'd love her writing a lot more in crisp, limited doses!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.

October 23, 2020 – Started Reading