Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer

Theodore Boone by John Grisham

Jul 04, 2012

it was ok
Read in July, 2010

I like John Grisham's books and have read a lot of them.

When I started reading this book, the writing seemed odd ... so I checked and discovered it's for young adults, ages 9 to 12. So I carried on with this in mind. I had read the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden books when I was a kid.

The plot and the pace move fairly quickly. A lot of stuff is explained in detail in conversations like, for example, what a foreclosure is. As adults, we know what it is but kids might not. So topics are brought down to a kid's level.

I found that Theo is too perfect. He's is very polite and smart. He and his parents volunteer at a soup kitchen every Tuesday night where Theo mentors two Hispanic kids to help them learn English and math. He gives other kids correct legal advice and is able to hack into bank records. I don't know any 13-year-old kids like that. And the language used by the kids is too mature. There is one Hispanic 12-year-old who can barely speak English yet is using words like "ventured" and "throughout".

The book ends rather abruptly ... I assume so there can be a sequel or the book was too long so they cut it in half. Great for Grisham and his young fans!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theodore Boone.