Mary Lou's Reviews > A Dog's Journey

A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron

Jul 04, 2012

bookshelves: fiction

If you read "A Dog's Purpose" you'll feel the same way - good or bad - about this continuation of the story. Have your hankies ready and your dogs close at hand. Some reviewers of these books complain about the simple writing style. The story is supposed to be told by a dog, and part of the message is that dogs are simple creatures. It's part of the books' charms. Readers in search of Great Literature shouldn't expect to find it in books that depict dogs with thought bubbles on the covers, for heaven's sake. Cameron's books are for people who want a unique, engaging dog story.

My only gripe with this installment is that our main human character never seems to catch a break. There's always more calamity heading her way, and my stomach was in a knot throughout most of the book. The good news -- as much as I enjoyed these two books, I was pleased that "Journey" had a definitive ending. This shouldn't be a trilogy or series -- too much of a good thing can ruin it.

Now I'm going to go hug my dogs and tell them how good they are. There might even be a treat in it for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dog's Journey.

Marilee Agreed!!

John Francis This is one of the best lines I've ever read in a Goodreads review:

"Readers in search of Great Literature shouldn't expect to find it in books that depict dogs with thought bubbles on the covers, for heaven's sake."

Blanca "Treat?!"

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Do you know how to actually read the book on the web site?

Mary Lou Sarah wrote: "Do you know how to actually read the book on the web site?"

No - I read a hard copy.

Alexis I loved the first book and am thoroughly enjoying this book. I'm about halfway through.

message 8: by Von (new)

Von Katz An amazing book, but reading it while being pregnant isn't the best literature though, I've been crying 90 percents of time if not even more.