Kim's Reviews > Of Sea and Song

Of Sea and Song
by Chanda Hahn
Book 3 in the Daughters of Eville series
Rating: 4.5/5

I'm amazed at this book. It is so well written and the story is so well thought-out that I didn't want to stop listening (I borrowed the audiobook via Hoopla through my local public library). I loved the characters and the wonderful adventures they got caught up in. I have read the first two books in the series but the books can definitely be read by themselves. I highly recommend reading all three of the books (and the ones to come). (The first book in the series is currently on sale as of 10/24/2020).

Having never read anything from this author before starting this series, I was pleasantly surprised to find YA fantasy fairytale retellings with tons of added background and lots of twists and turns. I love a good retelling but this one was extra special, and as the reader, I was constantly being tossed to and fro with every unveiling and adventure that came up. I laughed. I cried (a lot near the end). I thoroughly enjoyed one of my favorite fairy tales coming to life in such a unique way. (P.S. I'm a huge fan of Melanie Dickerson and KM Shea, so if you enjoy their fairytale retellings, you'll definitely appreciate this series with a slightly darker side).

From the audiobook standpoint, I found the reader very talented at portraying the feelings and emotions of multiple characters that each had a distinct voice/accent. I was very impressed and will definitely be looking for more audiobooks read by Jesse Vilinsky.

PG-13 appropriate.

Highly recommend if you enjoy fairytale retellings with some imaginative changes that almost work better than the originals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Sea and Song.

October 23, 2020 – Started Reading