William Poe's Reviews > Why I Believed

Why I Believed by Kenneth W Daniels

Jul 04, 2012

bookshelves: christianity
Read from July 04 to 19, 2012

I just finished reading Ken Daniels book, "Why I believed" and I am really moved by the man's honesty. This is a fellow whose bone fides as a sincere Christian are beyond reproach. I so admire his courage to question his beliefs and come to the conclusion that his faith was no more well-grounded than those of other religions. There is nothing special about Islam, or Christianity, or Hinduism, or Buddhism. Humanity grasped at beliefs to explain the unknowns and uncertainties of life -- until the slow advent of scientific reasoning, which has begun to free people from the ignorance that is supernatural thought. I have never really been a Christian, so I cannot fully understand its hold on people, but I was a member of a religious group whose theology was at least as intricate and justifiable. For me, my sexual orientation forced me to question my beliefs- and finally break free. For author Ken Daniels, it was a slow awareness of the contradictions in Christian theology that he could no longer ignore, and which ultimately led to his freedom as a rationalist. I doubt "true believers" will be changed by his book, but I sure think that any Christian ought to read this and come to terms with its arguments. And for those who break free of the hold of supernatural ideas - start reading books in the realm of anthropology and evolution. Start with Frans de Waal and progress to Richard Dawkins and E. O. Wilson among many others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why I Believed.

07/14/2012
80.0% "The only "problem" I have is that sometimes it is hard to grasp that people (Christians) actually hold to the arguments Ken Daniels addresses. It is hard to imagine that we really do live in the 21st Century when one realizes the extent of supernatural beliefs still held by so many people. Daniels' patience in first describing fundamental Christian viewpoints, and then respectfully addressing them is near saintly."