Kellie's Reviews > Echo Burning

Echo Burning by Lee Child

Oct 24, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads, mystery-thrillers, series, reacher-series

** spoiler alert ** The setting of this book is summer in Texas. The reader is constantly reminded of how hot it is. Reacher is wondering again and he meets a Mexican woman, Carmen, who is looking for a man to help her. Help her kill her husband. She tells Reacher that her husband, Sloop, beats her and she wants him dead. He is currently in jail but is going to be released. I’m surprised Reacher is actually willing to help her. It’s almost like he has nothing better to do, might as well save a damsel in distress. So, he goes with her to the ranch she resides at. She tells him she is going to tell her in-laws that he is looking for a job to help on the ranch. Reacher doesn’t know a thing about horses but agrees. This is another point I found hard to believe. Carmen has a 6 year old daughter, Ellie, who helps Reacher fake his way through saddling up a horse. Carmen convinces Reacher to help teach her how to shoot a gun. She is terrible at it. The in-laws are not friendly and are very suspicious of Reacher and try have him escorted off their property. When Carmen gets accused of killing Sloop, Reacher comes to her rescue. He learns a few things about Carmen that doesn’t gel with what she had told him. He insists she is legit. As a reader, I had a hard time with this because I thought Reacher was off on this. I have to say, when I finished the book, the story did come together and it was satisfying to a point. However, this book did not grab me with it’s suspense and thrill like some of the other mysteries I have read. I find Reacher’s character to be intriguing and very interesting which keeps me reading the series. It’s just not one of the great ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echo Burning.