Sierra's Reviews > The Newlyweds

The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger

Jul 03, 2012

Read from July 03 to 10, 2012

I loved this story. There's a reason Freudenberger has won all sorts of awards; her characters and story are superb. I'm always a sucker for a southeast Asian immigrant story, and this one was fabulous. I learned much about Bangladesh, and sinking into the point of view of the main character, Amina, was a pleasure. She was so well written that the times when she doesn't appear to react to certain things happening was a reaction in itself. Her husband, George, is also wonderfully drawn. Instead of drawing him as a certain way and having him fail for it, he is portrayed as human. Likewise, Amina isn't portrayed as an immigrant dealing with various sources--although she does--but rather as a human making choices for her life.

This review isn't for the plot, because you can find that anywhere, but I did want to say that I found the characters and the setting to be fantastically written. The plot is stringy at times, moving along slowly--but that's okay. It's not an action-packed thriller. I highly recommend this rich look at people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Newlyweds.